Here is a restaurant copycat recipe for California Pizza Kitchen's Margherita pizza. This classic Italian pizza is made with Mozzarella cheese and topped with basil and Parmesan cheese. Read on to learn how to make this simple yet flavorful pizza at home using simple ingredients and limited cooking skills.
Pizza Margherita was first made in 1899 when Quenn Marghereta visited Napels.
I've never had much luck trying to make homemade pizza dough so I found the prepared pizza shells pictured to the right at my local Walmart for less than $2 a piece. Boboli also makes a nice shell that would work great with this pizza. This is a must.
1 prepared pizza crust
6-8 oz mozzarella cheese
1/2 lb plum roma tomatoes
6 fresh basil leaves, cut in strips
1 clove garlic
extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- Preheat Oven
- Combine 2 Tbsp olive olive oil, salt, grated garlic and sliced tomatoes in a bowl.
- Allow to marinate.
- Brush pizza shell with olive oil.
- Top with cheese, then tomatoes.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven according to shell package directions.
- Remove from oven and top with parmesan cheese and basil.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.